Ōtātara pā is one of the largest, most important pā sites in New Zealand. Its strategic hilltop location close to natural resources meant that ownership was often contested. When Ngāti Kahungunu expanded into Heretaunga from the north they attacked the pā and assumed a position of dominance in the region. The area was part of a larger block of land purchased by the Crown in 1851. Part of the site was turned into a quarry in the 1920s, which destroyed most of the lower pā. It has been a historic reserve since 1971. The palisades are a modern reconstruction.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Kerryn Pollock
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.