Opened in 1876, the Christchurch Normal School was one of the city’s most impressive public buildings. It fell into disrepair in the 1970s, and in 1980 authorities announced it would be demolished. A public outcry saw the building sold to a developer instead, who converted the former school into luxury apartments, Cranmer Court. The complex was substantially rebuilt, with only the street elevation and roofline remaining untouched. This view shows a newly completed block on the left and an uncompleted block on the right. Cranmer Court was significantly damaged in the February 2011 earthquake and was demolished in 2012.
Using this item
Christchurch City Council, Heritage Unit
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.