This meeting house was privately carved for T. E. Donne, head of the Department of Tourism and Health Resorts, by a number of craftsmen. It was a model house, and represented Donne’s tendency to recreate an idealised Māori past. It was smaller than most wharenui, and was hired out to the 1906–7 New Zealand International Exhibition in Christchurch where it was named Te Wharepuni-a-Māui. The house was sold to Germany in 1911, and was in a Stuttgart museum in the early 2000s.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.