Story: Stock market

Dunedin exchange building

Dunedin exchange building

The dredging boom allowed the Dunedin Stock Exchange to move from its cramped accommodation into this building on Princes Street in May 1900. The building, whose size gives some sense of the prestige and success of the exchange in those years, was designed by architects Mason and Wales. It was originally intended as the Dunedin post office, but the provincial government decided it was too elaborate for this purpose. So the building became successively the museum, the first site of Otago University, the local headquarters of the Colonial Bank, and the Bank of New Zealand, before being occupied by the exchange.

Despite the building being demolished in the 1960s, the location was still known as The Exchange.

Using this item

Hocken Library, University of Otago
Reference: S09-228d

Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

David Grant, 'Stock market - Financing the gold-dredging boom', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/23675/dunedin-exchange-building (accessed 17 June 2019)

Story by David Grant, published 11 Mar 2010