Built in steel by the Public Works Department from a design by Peter Hay, the 1908 Hāpuawhenua viaduct was distinguished by its graceful curve. The viaduct was originally the second-longest on the main trunk line at 284 metres. Located just north of Ohakune, it was replaced by a new viaduct in 1987. The old structure was restored as part of a walking route in 2009. It has also been used for bungy jumping.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: S-L 1044-COVER
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.