There are a number of stone bridges in North Otago and South Canterbury, partly because of the availability of limestone in the area. This is one of two early arched bridges designed by John Turnbull Thomson on State Highway 1. The first was put up in 1869, and this one was completed in 1874. There are few other stone arched bridges in New Zealand.
Using this item
Photograph by Geoffrey Thornton
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.