This bridge in the Maniototo was named after the Irish patriot Daniel O’Connell, who successfully campaigned for Catholic emancipation (the right of Irish Catholics to become members of Parliament). The bridge was built in 1880 and was probably named in recognition of the many Irish Catholics drawn to Central Otago by the gold rushes.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence