In the 1940s the government erected several blocks of state (publicly owned) flats in inner-city Auckland and Wellington for single people and childless couples. Designed in a modernist architectural style, they were used by the government as the face of future cities. Wellington’s Dixon Street Flats – shown here around 1943, shortly after they were completed – was the largest block, towering over the city until hidden by skyscrapers in the 1980s. Even in the 2000s the flats appeared strikingly modern.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, John Dobrée Pascoe Collection (PAColl-0783)
Reference: 1/4-000810; F
Photograph by John Dobrée Pascoe
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment