From the late 1860s the government encouraged the growth of manufacturing to reduce New Zealand’s reliance on imported goods. Manufacturing favoured city locations with an ample labour supply and ready access to markets. This is the interior of Ballantyne’s furniture factory in Christchurch in 1900, with chair frames hanging from the rafters. The furniture was sold in its department store, the company believing its wares were at least as good as those made overseas.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 17 IMG0030
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.