Two cars and a motorcycle with a sidecar pause at a toll gate in Taranaki – possibly at Waitara – in the 1920s. By 1935 Taranaki had over 500 kilometres of sealed road, a legacy of the toll gates which were common in the area. Unlike other provinces that relied on road boards levying ratepayers, Taranaki with its toll gates collected enough revenue to improve roads.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.