Kupe’s canoe, Matawhaorua, was later re-adzed and renamed Ngātokimatawhaorua. With the Māmari, it landed at the Hokianga. The canoe shown here was named in honour of the founding canoe, and was built at the instigation of Te Puea Hērangi in 1940. It is being launched at the centenary of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.