Story: City public spaces

Botanical Gardens, Napier

Botanical Gardens, Napier

In 1855 government surveyor Alfred Domett set aside 17.3 hectares for a botanical garden on Napier’s Hospital Hill. The unpromising site was gradually planted out with trees and flower beds, and by the turn of the 20th century was a source of immense civic pride. This image from the early 1900s suggests that exotic plantings dominated the gardens at the time.

Using this item

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Geoffrey Rice, 'City public spaces - Parks and gardens', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/22908/botanical-gardens-napier (accessed 28 May 2022)

Story by Geoffrey Rice, published 11 Mar 2010