The Firestone tyre and rubber factory opened in Papanui, Christchurch, in 1947. In 2009 Firestone still manufactured tyres for the domestic market and exported to Australia and the Pacific – by then it had made over 35 million tyres.
Using this item
Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence