The French cemetery at Akaroa was the first burial ground consecrated in the province of Canterbury, sanctified by the Catholic Bishop Pompallier in 1847. One historian described those who are buried there as ‘the children of an unrealised dream’.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.