Steam trams arrived in New Zealand cities in the late 1870s, but they did not last long because they were costly to run, polluted the air and scared horses. These locomotives – named ‘Florence’ and ‘Hibernia’ – attached to their passenger trailers, are at the Merryweather steam-tram depot on the corner of Adelaide Road and King Street in Newtown. The photograph was taken on the opening day of the operation of steam trams in Wellington, 24 August 1878.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.