Charles Mackintosh Ross (centre, with his thumbs in his pockets) stands outside his Palmerston North drapery in 1896. Ross started the business in 1882, moving to a site in the Square the following year. For more than a century C. M. Ross was Palmerston North’s premier department store. Many department stores began as small draper’s shops like this.
Using this item
Palmerston North City Library
Photograph by A. E. Hobbs
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.