Story: Telecommunications

Post and telegraph office, Kāwhia

Post and telegraph office, Kāwhia

The post and telegraph office in Kāwhia opened in 1886. In 1900 the office may not have been a telegraph service, but it is likely that it included the local telephone exchange. Telegrams sent to an area without a telegraphist would be telephoned instead.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, William Archer Price Collection (PAColl-3057)
Reference: 1/2-000408; G
Photograph by Jonathan Ltd

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

A. C. Wilson, 'Telecommunications - Telephones, 1877–1914', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/22002/post-and-telegraph-office-kawhia (accessed 27 June 2019)

Story by A. C. Wilson, published 11 Mar 2010