At Maraekōwhai on the banks of the Whanganui River stand two niu (Hauhau ceremonial poles). Shown here is the first, Rongo Nui (meaning ‘widespread peace’), which was put up in 1864 by the inhabitants of Maraekōwhai. They had been converted to Hauhauism. The pole had the spirit of war embedded in it by a tohunga. The arms of the pole were intended to radiate that spirit in all directions. At the time the pole also flew flags, and ceremonies were held beneath it. When peace came to the river two years later, a second pole, known as Riri Kore (meaning ‘no anger’ or ‘no battle’), was put up to counterbalance the war pole.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.