Population clubs aimed to increase urban populations. The Napier 30,000 Club organised a range of activities and projects with a view to making the town a more attractive place to live and do business in. In 1954 it erected the statue ‘Pania of the Reef’, which has become one of Napier’s best-known symbols.These Māori children pose in front of the statue in the 1960s.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.