Story: Engineering

Auckland Harbour Bridge

Auckland Harbour Bridge

A second box girder is lowered into place on the Auckland Harbour Bridge. Over the years the bridge has been added to in a variety of ways. These ‘Nippon clip-ons’ opened in 1969 were designed and prefabricated in Japan. The box-girder bridges, one on each side of the original structure, doubled the number of lanes on the bridge from four to eight. The girders are held by brackets attached to the original bridge piers. The clip-ons have since been upgraded for seismic resistance, wind loading and fatigue cracking.

About this item

North Shore Libraries, Takapuna Library Photograph Archive
Reference: NABHE025
Photograph by Albert Chan

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Matthew Wright, 'Engineering - Engineering after 1945', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/21611/auckland-harbour-bridge (accessed 20 October 2017)

Story by Matthew Wright, published 11 Mar 2010