Electric lighting was used to celebrate the 1901 visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York to Wellington, in much the same way that fireworks or cannon fire might be. The General Post Office was hung with 2,400 red, white and blue lights, and transparencies and mottoes in Māori and English hung in the windows. The display was visible from Days Bay to Mount Victoria.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.