The Christchurch–Ferrymead line was made redundant by the opening of the Lyttelton tunnel in December 1867. In the 2000s steam trains run at the Ferrymead Heritage Park. This stone marks the site of the Ferrymead wharf and railway station, built in 1863 for New Zealand’s first railway line.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence