Story: Scots

Cave Memorial Church, South Canterbury

Cave Memorial Church, South Canterbury

Highland shepherds and farmers who came to New Zealand in the 1860s and 1870s made the sheep runs of the Mackenzie Country their own. The Scottish presence in the South Island high country is commemorated at the memorial church at Cave, where a Scottish family, the Burnetts, owned land.

Using this item

Private collection, John Wilson

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'Scots - 1853–1870: a surge of Scots', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/212/cave-memorial-church-south-canterbury (accessed 4 July 2022)

Story by John Wilson, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 25 Mar 2015