Story: Scots

Monument to the first Presbyterian service, Petone

Monument to the first Presbyterian service, Petone

In 1840 two shiploads of Scots arrived at the infant settlement of Wellington. They were under the pastoral care of the Reverend John Macfarlane, who gave New Zealand's first Presbyterian service on board the ship Bengal Merchant. An Iona cross at Petone, dedicated on 23 February 1940, commemorates the occasion .

About this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by John Wilson

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'Scots - 1840–1852: organised settlement', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/208/monument-to-the-first-presbyterian-service-petone (accessed 17 October 2017)

Story by John Wilson, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 25 Mar 2015