Triumph was a major supplier of motorcycles to the British forces in the First World War. The 1915 Triumph Model H pictured here – probably in the Whanganui area, around the time of the war – had a 550-cc engine. It was driven by a belt to the back wheel. The Model H was so successful it earned the company the nickname ‘Trusty Triumph’, but the belt drive was dropped in favour of a chain drive in the 1920s.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.