Albert Park in central Auckland was a military barracks during the conflict in Northland from 1845 to 1846. Troops were stationed there until 1871, when most of the buildings and walls were demolished. The park itself was constructed 10 years later. This postcard shows two people resting in the formal grounds of the park, with the elaborate fountain (1882) at the centre and the band rotunda (1901) off to the right.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, J. N. Taylor Collection
Reference: 1/2-152852; F
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment