Members of Ngāti Kahungunu participate in a ceremony at Pāpāwai pā to transfer ownership of Lake Wairarapa to the Crown in 1896. The Liberal government purchased large tracts of land from Māori in the 1890s.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment