Schools for rural children were usually among the first buildings in country townships. From 1877 attendance at primary school was compulsory. These pupils, all clothed in smart garb including caps and berets, stand outside their schoolhouse at Utuwai, near Āpiti in northern Manawatū, in 1903.
Using this item
Palmerston North City Library
Photograph by P. J. Christensen
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.