Story: Country towns

The Christchurch Club

The Christchurch Club

When landowners came to Christchurch to do business or attend the races or annual A & P show, they often stayed at the Christchurch Club. The club was established in 1856 as a gentlemen’s house by 12 graziers. Christchurch continued to be an important centre for farmers and landowners long after it became a city. Urban professionals and businessmen were more likely to be found at the competing institution, the Canterbury Club. The 1862 Christchurch Club building was badly damaged in the earthquakes of 2010 and 2011, and in 2014 the club was operating out of the George Hotel.

Using this item

The Christchurch Club

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Jock Phillips, 'Country towns - Origins', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/19389/the-christchurch-club (accessed 17 November 2018)

Story by Jock Phillips, published 24 Nov 2008