The Longbeach estate in mid-Canterbury employed about 1,000 horses and ploughmen in 1896, a scale of operation unparalleled in New Zealand on a single property before or since. Plough camps, like this one in 1907, were set up to accommodate staff and horses. Two ploughmen and their teams of Clydesdales pose in front of other teams. Behind are wooden huts on wheels, which could be towed from site to site. Larger huts were used for cooking and dining.
Using this item
Canterbury Museum, Bishop Collection
Photograph by C. A. Tomlinson
Permission of Canterbury Museum, Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch, New Zealand must be obtained before any re-use of this image.