These men are working sheep in the stockyards at the Ōmakau railway station in 1953. The yard was built for cattle, but could hold sheep as well. The wagons in the background could carry about 100 sheep each.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: AAVK, W3493, B3778
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence