Tūrangawaewae marae in Ngāruawāhia is the formal seat of the Māori King movement, built under the direction of Te Puea Hērangi in the 1920s and 1930s. On 30 December 1953 on her first visit to New Zealand, Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh were welcomed at Tūrangawaewae. The decision to visit was not taken until that morning and represented a significant moment of reconciliation between the Crown and the King movement. Here the Queen and the Duke walk on to Tūrangawaewae flanked by King Koroki and the princess who became Te Arikinui Dame Te Ātairangikaahu, the present Māori Queen.
Using this item
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.