Story: Radiata pine

Radiata pine plantation

Radiata pine plantation

Radiata pine dominates Kāingaroa Forest in the central North Island. At 189,000 hectares, it is the most extensive plantation forest in the southern hemisphere. Pine trees were first planted on the Kāingaroa plains in 1900, and the plantation was a state-owned production forest for more than 80 years. It is now privately owned, and in 2007 was carrying its third crop of pine trees.

Using this item

Department of Conservation
Reference: 10050464

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Peter Berg, 'Radiata pine - A Californian import', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 24 March 2018)

Story by Peter Berg, published 24 Nov 2008