In 1898, largely on the initiative of the missionary James Stack, who was based in the nearby Ngāi Tahu village of Tuahiwi, a monument was erected on the site of Kaiapoi pā. This lay to the north of the present-day town of Kaiapoi. The tall column rises from a bank reconstructed on the pā’s original defences.
Using this item
Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.