Soon after the establishment of the State Forest Service in 1921, staff were photographed in Wellington. The first director, Leon McIntosh Ellis (seated fourth from left) wanted to manage native forests as a timber resource, but he soon realised that exotic plantations would be needed to meet future demands for wood.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: AAQA 6395 M7930
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence