Standing at the apex of two major roads, Lopdell House is a Titirangi landmark. Designed in the Spanish mission style, it opened in 1930 as Hotel Titirangi. However, it was not granted a liquor licence and struggled to attract patronage. In 1942 the building was taken over by Department of Education and used as school for the deaf, and then for in-service teacher training. It was vacated in 1982 and bought by Waitematā City Council as an arts and cultural centre.
Using this item
Photograph by Bryan Spondre
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.