These are the remains of the Ball and Tube building, built in 1902–3 as part of the Wilson Cement Works. After successfully manufacturing lime from local limestone, Nathaniel Wilson set up the plant in 1882. By 1910 there were several large mills and kilns, and 180 workers. In the 1920s the works were abandoned and left to decay. Rodney District Council purchased the site in 2003 and is in the process of turning it into a heritage area.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence