Story: Auckland region

Synagogue and school (3rd of 3)

Synagogue and school

Auckland’s main (Orthodox) synagogue is located in inner-city Greys Avenue. It was designed in the 1960s in a Modernist style by John Goldwater. The complex is planned around a central courtyard – visible through the entrance gates in this photograph – and includes a school and kindergarten. The synagogue won an architectural award in 1970.

Auckland’s Jews have played an important part in city life since colonial times. Perhaps the most influential was Arthur Myers, a leading businessman and mayor of Auckland (1905–1909). In 1913 he donated inner-city land for what became Myers Park. Appropriately, the synagogue backs onto the park.

Using this item

Private collection
Photograph by Margaret Lovell-Smith

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Margaret McClure, 'Auckland region - Popular culture', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/15929/synagogue-and-school (accessed 16 September 2021)

Story by Margaret McClure, updated 1 Aug 2016