Story: Volcanic Plateau region

Waipa mill

Waipa mill

The government-owned Waipa mill opened in 1939 to process timber from Whakarewarewa Forest. This mill worker is operating a mechanical saw in the early 1940s.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: C-24428-1/2

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Volcanic Plateau region - From rimu and tōtara to pinus radiata', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/15173/waipa-mill (accessed 23 March 2023)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 1 May 2015