Separate facilities were provided for thermal bathing by men and women. This group are probably in the men’s bath at the Duchess pool, around 1926. The Duchess and Pavilion pools were demolished early in 1930. New baths, named after the late prime minister Joseph Ward, a frequent visitor to Rotorua, were opened in September 1931. Three months later the mixed-bathing Blue Baths were opened.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.