Story: South Pacific peoples

The Melanesian Mission Dining Hall, 2004 (3rd of 3)

The Melanesian Mission Dining Hall, 2004

Built in 1859, the Melanesian Mission Dining Hall is the sole surviving building of the Melanesian Mission. By 1915 it was the only building left, all the others having being removed or reused for buildings on the surrounding Melanesian Estate. In 2004 the building was being used as a restaurant.

About this item

Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Melanie Lovell-Smith

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'South Pacific peoples - Early migration', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/1506/the-melanesian-mission-dining-hall-2004 (accessed 17 December 2017)

Story by Carl Walrond, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 25 Mar 2015