Story: Rangitāne

Tūturu Pumau meeting house

Tūturu Pumau meeting house

Tūturu Pumau meeting house is located on Te Hotu Manawa o Rangitaane o Manawatū marae at Palmerston North, and was opened in 2004. In form it is like a traditional meeting house, but it was constructed using modern building materials and techniques. Moreover it is not named after a particular ancestor, as is usually the case. Instead its name, Tūturu Pumau, means ‘cultural integrity forever’, an indication that it is intended to be a marae for all Māori in the area.

Using this item

Tanenuiarangi Manawatu Incorporated

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Mason Durie and Meihana Durie, 'Rangitāne - 20th and 21st centuries: survival and adaptation', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/1499/tuturu-pumau-meeting-house (accessed 3 December 2021)

Story by Mason Durie and Meihana Durie, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 3 Mar 2017