The pristine headwaters of the Orongorongo and Wainuiomata rivers are a vital part of Wellington’s water supply. In the late 19th century a dam to supply Wellington was built on the upper Wainuiomata. By 1918 this was inadequate. To increase the supply, the headwaters of the Orongorongo were tunnelled to the Wainuiomata dam.
Using this item
Wellington City Archives
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.