The first commercial flying boat service between Sydney and Wellington began in October 1950. The Wellington base was Evans Bay. Planes docked beside a small passenger terminal near Hataitai Beach – shown here in 1951. The trip to Sydney took about seven hours. The service ceased in 1954 when regular planes started flying across the Tasman Sea.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.