Story: Nearshore islands

Quarantine Island, Port Chalmers

Quarantine Island, Port Chalmers

For 30 years after 1863, Quarantine Island in Otago Harbour was used to house people who arrived on board ship with infectious diseases. The hospital buildings can be seen in this 1880 image.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: 1/2-003221; G
Photograph by David Alexander De Maus

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Eileen McSaveney, 'Nearshore islands - Quarantine centres and prisons', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/13029/quarantine-island-port-chalmers (accessed 14 November 2019)

Story by Eileen McSaveney, published 24 Sep 2007