Story: Nearshore islands

Kawau Island

Kawau Island

Copper was discovered on Kawau Island in the Hauraki Gulf in 1842. Four years later a mine was opened. Over the next two decades, about 2,500 tonnes of ore was mined and smelted for copper. The chimney and remains of the smelter can be seen at the entrance to South Cove in this 1913 photograph.

Using this item

Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero
Reference: 7-A2928

Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Eileen McSaveney, 'Nearshore islands - Island industry, recreation and life', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/13021/kawau-island (accessed 20 September 2021)

Story by Eileen McSaveney, published 24 Sep 2007