Winnowing machines were introduced in the late 1910s. These portable, engine-driven contraptions could achieve around 80% purity in sifting out gum chips – a big improvement over winnowing by hand. These two machines were used at Ahipara between 1910 and 1919.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.