Story: Te Āti Awa of Wellington

Installing a pou, Waiwhetū marae

Installing a pou, Waiwhetū marae

In 1985, 10 carved pou (posts) were installed at Waiwhetū marae, Lower Hutt, as part of the marae’s 25th anniversary celebrations. This pou represents Īhāia Pōrutu Puketapu, a prominent local Te Āti Awa chief. Waiwhetū has been settled by Te Āti Awa people since the 1830s, when Ngāti Mutunga chief Patukawenga made it available for migrants from Ngāmotu. The Waiwhetū marae was established in 1960 to cater for the large numbers of Māori coming to Wellington to work.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Dominion Post Collection (PAColl-7327)
Reference: EP/1985/4066/19a
Photograph by Ross Giblin

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Morris Love, 'Te Āti Awa of Wellington - 1830s: settling the land', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/1295/installing-a-pou-waiwhetu-marae (accessed 19 July 2024)

Story by Morris Love, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 1 Mar 2017