This aerial photograph shows the site of the imposing Te Āti Awa pā of Pukerangiora, located on the Waitara River in Taranaki. It was besieged by Ngāti Maniapoto and Waikato forces in December 1831, and its defenders were slaughtered. This defeat resulted in another migration of Te Āti Awa to the lands around Wellington Harbour.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
Photograph by Kevin Jones
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.