The Milford Track, from the head of Lake Te Anau to Milford Sound, was New Zealand’s first recreational walking track. It was developed after Quintin McKinnon’s discovery in 1888 of the pass to which he gave his name. In that year he was photographed (standing) at his camp, with a kakapō (native parrot) sitting on a ridgepole.
Using this item
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.